Fiber type, length, and thickness are different from carpet to carpet. Whether the carpet fibers are, carpet fiber gets matted and dull over time. This dull look may disappoint you and you may wish to cut off the knotty piles. Many thought of replacing the carpet.
Though installing carpet flooring is expensive and time-consuming, you should look for ways to dull and matted carpet. Many carpet owners don’t know how to revive carpet fibers. If you are one of them, then scan the solving guide on this issue. We are sure, that once you nail the ways of reviving carpet, you can keep your carpet fluffy and cozy for a long time, even generations.
The Reasons For Matted Carpet
When the carpet gets older, it loses color, fluffiness, and appearance. Usually, carpet flooring lasts for 5 to 15 years depending on the fiber and usage. But if the carpet gets damp and matted in just a few months, it becomes an issue to consider. There are some obvious reasons for matted carpets:
- Furniture Dents: The new and old carpet experience indents from furniture and other heavy objects. Furniture dents have become more visible when you rearrange their layout. The pressure of the furniture dents the carpet fiber.
- High Traffic Areas: The carpet places that are exposed to high traffic get dented and matted soon because of wear down. These places get dirty in just a few days and make the carpet fiber dull and matted.
- Pet stains and food spills: Pet accidents like vomit, and urine can dent the carpet. After cleaning the pet stains, you need to work for reviving carpet fiber. The same goes for food spills. When drinks or other foods spill on the carpet, the fiber becomes matted.
You may be interested in: How to revive matted carpet
How to revive carpet fibers?
There are several tricks to restore carpet fibers. Some are too easy, even if you don’t need to pay a single penny. So let’s try these techniques.
1. Ice Cubes And Stiff Brush
Ice cubes are the best solution for spot dents. If you move furniture like a table, chair, or couch from one place to another or you accomplish spot cleaning, the carpet will have spot dents. This technique gives a satisfying result. To use an ice cube, follow the steps below:
- Bring out an ice cube from the fridge and place it on the dent spots. If the carpet has several dents then place one cube in each dent.
- Let the cube melt naturally. Leave the cubes for 1 or 2 hours, and thus, the carpet will gradually soak the water, and fibers will be saturated completely.
- Pat the spot with a paper towel or a sponge to absorb the excess water from the carpet. Make sure there is no water on the carpet fiber.
- Use a stiff brush to lift up the carpet fiber.
2. Damp Cloth and an Iron
A damp cloth and iron technique is used to revive old and damp carpet fibers. If you want to restore the whole carpet then it will be a quick solution for you. But you need to maintain some caveats while using the technique. Never place the iron directly on the carpet fibers. A few seconds of hot touch can burn the fibers.
- Start the fiber restoring task by wetting the cloth and laying it over the affected area.
- Preheat an iron with a cotton setting that will be mild for the carpet fiber. Remember high heat can damage the carpet fiber.
- Then move the hot iron over the damp cloth or towel and keep moving it as you iron your cloth. In a spot, wait for several seconds then move again. In this process, the trampled fibers will lift up again and give a nice look.
- When you go to a new spot for reviving, make sure the cloth is moist enough. It is important to balance the combination of water and heat. If you don’t maintain it, the technique won’t work.
3. Cleaning and vacuuming
If your carpet is dirty and stained, it seems bland and matted. So you should start the carpet restoring task by cleaning. The best homemade cleaning solution is the baking soda and vinegar solution. This cleaning process also disinfects the carpet, removes odor, and gives a fresh feel.
- First, make a solvent of vinegar and water. Mix equal amounts of these two ingredients in a spray bottle, then spray the solution all over the carpet. Leave the carpet for half an hour.
- Vinegar solution removes stains and kills bacteria. Then use soft bristles brush to rub the fiber. Always rub it in one direction. Then blot with a damp towel or paper towel.
- Let the carpet dry fully.
- Then it is time to use the baking soda. Baking soda removes odor and disinfects the carpet. Dissipate baking soda all over the carpet and make sure it covers the entire affected area.
- Let sit the baking soda for one or two hours, then use the brush to lift up the fibers.
- Vacuum the whole carpet thoroughly. Vacuuming sucks the baking soda and helps to stand up the carpet fibers. It also gives a clean look and makes your carpet brand-new.
Cautions: Make sure your carpet fiber is eligible for the vinegar and baking soda cleaning process. One more thing never put the vinegar and baking soda together on the carpet. It will create a foamy mess. This reduces the cleaning efficiency and it is time-consuming to clean the additional mess.
How to resist matted and dull carpet piles?
Carpet reviving is necessary when you see some dents on the carpet or it looks bland. The above methods are the best way to revive. Despite the cleaning step, you skip the two fibers reviving tasks by following some basic rules of carpet maintenance.
- Regular change the furniture positions; whether it is a few inches. That doesn’t create pressure on the carpet fiber and prevents dents.
- Use carpet pads under the heavy furniture to prevent dents.
- Place a welcome mat on the doorways to decrease wear on the carpet of the high traffic areas.
- Buy a durable and dark tone carpet for high traffic areas.
- Remove the pet stains and food spill effectively.
- Vacuum the carpet on a daily basis.
- Choose high-density carpet for high traffic areas.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How do I make my matted carpet fluffy again?
The ice cube and damp cloth, heat process can make your carpet fluffy as you brought for the first time. These techniques are very easy to consume and have no need for an additional cost. If you follow the step, you can bring life to the matted carpet without calling professionals.
2. How do you soften carpet fibers?
Carpet fibers get hard by stains, dirt, and molds. To soften the carpet fiber, make a mixture of baking soda, detergent, hot water, and fabric softener. This is the best non-toxic cleaner for the problem. Then saturate the carpet fiber with the solution, then rub and blot the mixture. Then give a nice rinse and dry the carpet. In the end, you will get a soft and silky carpet.
3. Will cleaning the carpet make it fluffy again?
Moisture and heat help to fluff the carpet fiber. First, you clean with a liquid solution and dry the carpet. When it dries, vacuum the whole carpet to make it fluffy again. It also looks clean and fresh.
No one wants a damp or dirty carpet at home. It reduces the appealing environment of the room. So here you need the carpet fiber reviving techniques. In this article, we have allotted the three most effective ways to restore carpet fibers.
The ice cube method works great for furniture dents. The iron and damp cloth technique is great for the carpet in high-traffic areas. The last one is the ultimate solution for long-lasting carpet flooring. You should always follow the rules of reviving the carpet.