Creative and artistic kid’s minds recipes always end up staining the carpet. Usually, kids have a lot of drawing equipment like crayons, markers, or sharpies. Often they stain the carpet with these markers which turns into a bad dream for you.
But you don’t need to be concerned about it because washable marker stain can be removed from the carpet without any residue. Though the marker stain is hard to eliminate, it is not far-fetched whether they are black or red. Don’t go for the carpet cleaning service, first try these effective methods below and you will surely remove the washable marker from carpet.
How to remove the washable marker from carpet?
Washable marker needs a proper cleaning solution to remove from the carpet. In the market, you will get a lot of commercial products that help to clean the washable marker. But if you don’t spend money, you can apply some DIY process to remove them. Here are some effective DIY techniques. But before applying any product on the carpet, test them on the carpet’s hidden spot to see the reaction.
1. Rubbing alcohol and hair spray
Rubbing alcohol and non-oil-based hair spray is the most helpful way to remove the washable marker. This is proven a safe method in most types of carpet fiber.
- First, pour some rubbing alcohol on the damaged spot and saturate the stain properly.
- Now, take a paper towel or rag to blot the area. Make sure you started from the edge to the center so that it doesn’t spread to more areas and longer the cleaning process.
- After blotting, you will see the stain is fading. Now spray an ample amount of hair spray to the stain. The hairspray will give you the satisfying cleaning that you desire.
- Blot the spray with a paper towel and try to wipe all the moisture from it.
2. Vinegar and baking soda
Vinegar and baking soda are the oldest and most reliable techniques to remove any stain from the carpet or fabric. Here you need some simple equipment like a cup of vinegar, baking soda, a vacuum, and a paper towel. Following the right density, you will get a successful result.
- Pour vinegar into the stained area and cover them. The stained area should soak deeply. Be sure, that the vinegar doesn’t bleach the fiber.
- Scrub the area with a clean towel to spread the vinegar all over the stains.
- After spreading the vinegar, now sprinkle some baking soda over the area.
- Blot with a towel or scrub for evenly spreading the baking soda.
- Leave the baking soda for one or two hours to set.
- In this period, the stain should disappear. Now utilize the vacuum cleaner on the baking soda and it will suck out all the residue. While removing the baking soda, the stain also dissolved.
- Now, give the carpet a cold water treatment, and the stain will be removed.
3. Hydrogen Peroxide for white carpet
Using Hydrogen peroxide for stain removal is an effective DIY for non-professionals. This element removes ink-like substances, including marker stains, from the carpet. But hydrogen peroxide is a branching agent which fades the carpet dye. In the case of white or other shades of the white color rug, hydrogen peroxide will give you the best outcome.
- Spray some hydrogen peroxide on the stained carpet. Apply a generous amount to saturate the fiber properly.
- Use a paper towel and lightly rub to spread the peroxide and soak it up properly.
- Cover the stain with a cloth and leave for 1 hour to set the solution.
- You will see the marker stains are fading.
- When you blot the area with clothes. You can see the stain has disappeared.
- Now it should be washed with cold water. Take a paper towel and rinse it in water.
- Then blot and rub the area to wash the hydrogen peroxide.
- Thoroughly remove all the moisture with the towel.
- You may not repeat the process as it is effective on the first try.
4. Cleaner paste
You will find many commercial products like cleaner paste on the market. These cleaning products are also very beneficial to remove the marker stain from the carpet.
- First, take a white towel and soak it in the water. Always take a white towel as the color cloth can transfer dye to the carpet.
- After soaking in the water, wring the towel well so that no water dripping. Then rub the affected area of the carpet.
- When the carpet fiber is softened with hot water, you need to apply the cleaner paste. You need a rug or towel to apply the cleaner paste. Take the towel and soak with water then take enough cleaner paste and put in the stain.
- Gently rub the area so that the cleaning solution blends well with the carpet fiber. Make sure, you have applied in the deepest of the carpet fiber.
- Let set the cleaner paste for 10 to 15 minutes.
- You will see the marker stain is loosened from the carpet. Now it is time to wipe off the cleaning paste. You need to be careful while wiping as the stain is loose, it can be spread.
- Take a clean white cloth and wipe the area. Always switch with the new part while wiping the stain.
- Re-apply the cleaner paste to remove all the residue. The process is the same as before.
- Wipe the paste with a cloth, and you will see the stain is gone out. You will get the carpet as earlier.
- Now pour a little clean water on the spot and wash the area with another paper towel.
- Vacuum the whole area and let dry the carpet without foot traffic.
You can also read: How to remove old stains from carpet
Frequently Asked Question (FAQs)
1. Is detergent can remove the marker stain from the carpet?
No, detergent can’t remove the marker stain. Detergent is effective to remove oil-based or food stains but the marker stain is different from these stains. So detergent can’t remove the marker stain from the carpet.
2. Does rubbing alcohol bleach the carpet?
Rubbing alcohol doesn’t bleach the carpet. It is not affected by any fiber dye yet cleans the stains. That’s why many professionals recommend applying rubbing alcohol to quick fix the carpet. If you use rubbing alcohol for removing the washable marker, it will gently remove the stains without harming the color.
3. Which is the best homemade carpet cleaning solution?
Vinegar is the most workable homemade cleaning solution. It is a natural acid and works on most stains. In case of removing the washable marker, the vinegar solution can wipe out the stains. This process is straightforward and cost-effective.
4. How to remove permanent markers?
A permanent marker is very stubborn on the carpet, so it needs strong stain remover to clean. There are a few methods to clean the stain. You can use the nail polish remover on the first try. Take some nail polish remover on cotton, then blot and press firmly on the stained area. Keep adding the nail polish remover until the stain is removed fully. Every time take a new cotton ball to apply the remover.
The next technique is hand sanitizer. Pour some sanitizer on the carpet and blot the area with a cloth. After some application, the stain should be removed. Moreover, you can also try rubbing alcohol and cleaning paste to remove the permanent marker stain.
In this article, we have described four effective methods of cleaning the washable marker from the carpet. These methods work every time; it may take another application but it will work to remove the stain. The DIY process is the most cost-effective way to remove the stain. If you apply the commercial product, the stain will be removed easily. So check out these methods before yelling at your kids.