Isn’t it irritating when your beloved puppy urinates on your clean carpet? Of course, cleaning the carpet is a lot to take on your plate when you are already having a long day. Especially, when there is dog urine on the carpet, you cannot help but clean it right away to save yourself from that strong odor and to save the carpet, obviously.
But oftentimes, even after putting in a lot of effort, you cannot rinse all the urine out of the carpet if you don’t follow the right technique. And that’s why we will share our powerful findings on how to get dog urine out of carpet to save your back this time.
Keep on reading and get yourself ready to deal with the cleaning in the most effortless way possible. You can get the cleaning ingredients in your home, so don’t worry. Let’s hop right into it!
Let’s get to the real deal here. Dog urine on your carpet can be the most irritating problem that you can ever face. We will share our ways based on two circumstances- when the urine is fresh and when the urine has dried up creating a stain. There are two solutions by which you can clean your carpet, Using homemade ingredients or using e enzymatic cleaners. So let’s go ahead and see what you can do!
For Cleaning Fresh Dog Urine Out Of The Carpet
Things that you will need
- Paper towel or absorbent cloth
- Vinegar solution
- Baking soda or odor eliminator
- Vacuum cleaner
- Soft brush or scrubber
- Step-1: First of all, take a paper towel or cloth to cover all the areas where your dog has peed. Absorb as much urine as you can using a cloth towel or cloth. It will make your further procedures easy to deal with. Let the towel or cloth sit for a while for about 10 minutes.
- Step-2: Use a mixture of one part vinegar and one part water. Depending on the area, you can increase the amount by remembering the ratio. Now you have to pour the solution into the areas where your dog has peed on. After pouring, use your scrubber or soft brush to scrub the areas properly.
When you are done with scrubbing, let the area sit for a while to dry. Then move to the next step.
- Step-3: Now you have to sprinkle baking soda on the areas. Baking soda is a natural smell eliminator. Let the baking soda sit for 24 hours to remove the odor completely. However, if you want a quick result, you can use store-bought odor eliminators.
- Step-4: For better cleaning, after 24 hours, use hydrogen peroxide and dish detergent mixed with baking powder and scrub the area again. Then wipe everything up with clean water and a clean cloth.
- Step-5: Your work is done! Now you have to vacuum the area and let it dry to look like nobody’s had peed on your carpet!
And you can also use a carpet cleaning machine to clean pet urine.
For Cleaning Dried Up Dog Urine Out Of The Carpet
An additional thing that you will need
- Hydrogen peroxide and dish detergent (for stains)
- Step-1: As the area is already dried up, you don’t have to soak anything. Now the major deal is to eliminate the odor and stain. Hereby, as your first step, use a 1:1 ratio of water and vinegar, and then pour in the areas where you can smell the urine.
Using warm water will deal with the odor in a better way. You can also add 1 tablespoon full of dishwashers here. Afterward, let it sit for an hour or two to make the best out of it.
- Step-2: After the mentioned period, use your scrubber to scrub the areas properly. Give a good effort on this because unless you do so, the odor will be hard to remove as well as the stains.
- Step-3: Now sprinkle baking soda all over the area and cover the areas using a paper towel. Let it rest for 24 hours to eliminate all the smells.
- Step-4: At this phase, you have to mix a pinch of dish soap with ½ cup of hydrogen peroxide and pour it onto the carpet stain. Again scrub the areas properly. After scrubbing, let the area dry for a couple of more hours.
- Step-5: Here the final step comes! Now vacuum the carpet thoroughly and get yourself the cleaned carpet again!
Recommended post: How to Clean Dog Urine from Carpet With Vinegar & Baking Soda
How to Stop Dogs From Peeing On Carpet?
Now that you know the carpet cleaning method, you can see how much of a hassle it is even though we have shared the easiest way to follow. So taking some precautions will surely save you time and effort. Here are a few things that you can follow to stop dogs from peeing on the carpet:
- Using Vinegar Solution: Vinegar has acidic properties. So once you use the vinegar on your carpet, your dog will be discouraged from peeing on the carpet surface. Vinegar also eliminates the odors so it will be a total win-win situation for you.
- Lemon Juice: Like vinegar, dogs hate the smell of lemon because of its acidic properties. So you can use lemon juice on your carpet to prevent your dog from peeing there. It will also give a nice smell to your carpet.
- Frequent Potty Breaks: Make a habit of certain times for your dog to pee or poop. The potty training will prevent him/her from peeing or pooping here and there.
- A Commercial Carpet Solution: The carpet solutions are created in a way to discourage the dogs from peeing or pooping on the areas where you use the solutions because of the smell and properties. So you can totally try this method.
- Rubbing Alcohol: Here is another lifesaving substance to use. Rubbing alcohol will repent your dog from peeing on the carpet because it creates a powerful odor that gets on the dog’s olfactory senses.
- Using Ammonia: The smell of ammonia also keeps the dog away. So you can rely on it if you are having a hard time finding the solution.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Will Shampooing Carpet Get Rid Of Dog Urine?
A professional can get rid of dog urine on your carpet. But self-shampooing won’t be much effective here. However, our given method will work better if you are planning on cleaning the carpet on your own.
2. What Gets Rid Of The Smell Of Dog Urine?
White vinegar and baking soda work the best on dog urine to get rid of all the stains and odors. So you can mix these two ingredients together and spray the mixture on your carpet to get the best result. We have shared the detailed way so you can check that out.
3. What Smells Will Dogs Not Pee On?
The best natural dog deterrents are vinegar, lemon, and orange juice. The acidic smell keeps your dog away from the areas where you use these substances. So you can take advantage of that. Also, you can use ammonia and rubbing alcohol to keep your dog away from your carpet.
4. Does Vinegar Encourage Dogs To Pee?
No, it doesn’t. In fact, the acidic smell of vinegar discourages dogs from going to the areas where you use vinegar. Dogs hate the smell of vinegar. So you can take a chance on it to keep your dog away from the carpet.
5. Do Coffee Grounds Repel Dogs?
Sometimes, it may help. The strong smell may repel dogs and the taste as well. But unless your dog tastes the coffee grounds, it’s hard to say that your dog will keep a distance from your carpet.
Now you have the perfect solution on how to get dog urine out of carpet. We have tried to share the easiest way to follow which is super effective as well. Being pet owners, we understand the struggle you need to go through when something like this occurs. But with the solutions in hand, that should no longer be a problem anymore.
If you are using an odor eliminator, please check whether the substances used in it are safe for your dog or not. Also, make sure to wash your dog after cleaning the carpet. You should wear gloves while you clean the carpet if you don’t like the smell to bother you.
If you follow all the steps properly, we are confident that the smell or stain won’t bother you anymore. Yet if the smell or stain doesn’t go away, seek the help of a professional to deal with your carpet cleaning.